Homemade Grape Nuts
I began making this recipe to save cereal costs for our family of six. Everyone loves the hearty flavor that just can't be found in packaged cereals.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 35 min. + cooling
- 7 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk, butter, vanilla and maple flavoring if desired, until combined. Spread into six greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Reduce heat to 250°. Break mixture into pieces. Cover and process in batches in a food processor until small pieces are formed; return to baking pans. Bake for 1 hour or until light brown and crisp, stirring every 15 minutes. Store in airtight containers. Serve as a cereal with milk.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Homemade Grape Nuts in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook