Come-Home-to-Mama Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 38-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add melted chocolate; beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1-1/2 cups frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 754 calories, 49g fat (25g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2018
I made this cake for Valentine's dinner and now my nephew's wife, and fellow chocolate lover, is my best friend! It tasted like a large truffle! Can't say enough good things about it!
Feb 7, 2018
I made this cake today for my Fiance's birthday tomorrow. I had a couple of problems with it. The cake batter was extremely thick and could not be mixed at medium speed as instructed. I triple-checked the ingredients to make sure I hadn't left any of the wet ingredients out and that I had the right amounts. Even on high speed the batter kept crawling up over the beaters towards the mixer. I repeatedly had to lower the speed to spin the batter back off into the bowl. The cakes rose high and domed as a result. I trimmed them level to frost. I was also immediately skeptical when I saw the ratio of 3 sticks of butter to 1/2 c of powdered sugar for the frosting, as most often 3 cups of powdered sugar is called for to frost a typical 2 layer cake. Between the melted chocolate and the hydrated cocoa powder it was nowhere near enough and the frosting was very thin. I ended up adding an extra cup of the sugar, although another cup and a half would have most likely been better. Keeping my fingers crossed that despite the difficulties it will still taste awesome tomorrow.Update: I really truly wanted to like this cake, but the cake was not moist and the cocoa powder flavor overwhelmed the frosting. My fiance and I were very disappointed in the result. We will not be making this recipe again.
Feb 5, 2018
Very thick batter. Very spongy cake. Tasted like a box cake so I don’t understand how it’s a contest winner. Nothing special. I used my own frosting.
Jan 24, 2018
Just baked this cake today, and all I have to say is - WONDERFUL!
Jan 22, 2018
The frosting was far too thin, I added a extra cup and a half of powdered sugar to make it spreadable instead of a liquid goo. The cake was OK, but not spectacular. In addition, it had only two fewer ingredients than my "to go" chocolate cake from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box, and cost far more to bake. The final product wasn't as good as the "from scratch" cake either, it had that "fake" cake mix flavor. So, I'd keep the frosting with the addition of more powdered sugar and a teaspoonful of espresso powder, and make a scratch cake instead to go with the frosting.
Dec 22, 2017
What a nice cake baking recipe. Thanks for sharing it here. I must try this at new years party. Thanks for it. Really awesome. http://cake-delivery.in/kota
Nov 2, 2016
This dessert was a HUGE hit at the potluck my book club had. All the ladies absolutely loved it and were asking me for the recipe as soon as they had their very first bite!
Sep 19, 2016
How beautiful this cake appears! In spite of the high calories, I decided to make it for my daughter-in-law's birthday celebration. What a disappointment! The batter was thick and did not spread when baking. The icing ingredients couldn't possibly be correct! So much butter and so little confectioner's sugar! It did not fluff up and it didn't become smooth after I added the two kinds of melted and "boiled" chocolate. Besides all that, it's not an inexpensive cake to make. I'm hesitant about serving it!
Feb 3, 2016
This cake always works and keeps very moist.
Mar 17, 2015
I made this cake for my son-in-laws birthday. It was a great hit. He loves chocolate cake and I'm always making different one and he said " make this again".