My family just loves these tender dumplings in a sweet, rich sauce. I love them because they turn out wonderful every time I make them...which is a lot!
Recommended: 44 of Our Most Gooey Caramel Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peeled apple, optional
- In a large skillet, heat the butter, brown sugar and water to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine the dumplings ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering sauce. Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid. Serve warm with cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Dumplings in Country Woman September/October 1991, p37
Reviews forCaramel Dumplings
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2014
"I was worried how this would turn out but it was fantastic! I love caramel and apples and combo was great. I served it with vanilla bean ice cream. Yum!"