A little of this tall, rich brownie cake goes a long way, so you'll have plenty of pieces left to share with grateful family members and friends. It's a sure way to satisfy true chocolate lovers and is perfect for any occasion. -Barbara Dean, Littleton, Colorado
- 1-1/2 cups butter
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar, optional
- 2 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), shaved
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, melt chocolate in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Gradually stir in cream and sugar if desired, until well blended. Heat to a gentle boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until mixture reaches a pudding-like consistency, stirring a few times.
- Beat until soft peaks form. Immediately spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Triple Layer Brownie Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p27
Reviews for Triple Layer Brownie Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review