Here comes the big yellow bus! Kayla could hardly wait to board a real one to go to kindergarten, so I made her birthday cake to look like a school bus. It wasn't very complicated to decorate, yet everyone immediately recognized the sweet vehicle. -Leslie Miller, Butler, Pennsylvania
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black paste or gel food coloring
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yellow paste or liquid food coloring
- 2 Oreo cookies, cut in half
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 6 red gumdrops
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cakes end to end on a 22-in. x 8-in. covered board. Level if needed. From the top of one end, form the front of the bus by cutting out a section 1 in. deep and 3 in. long (Save the removed piece for another use.)
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Add 6 cups confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining confectioners' sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Tint 3/4 cup frosting with black food coloring; set aside. Tint remaining frosting yellow. Frost top and sides of cake with yellow frosting. Frost cut edge of cookies with yellow frosting to form wheel wells; place two cookie halves on each side of bus.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #5 round tip. Fill the bag with black frosting. Outline windows on both sides of bus; pipe strips under windows. Pipe windshield and back window; fill in with black frosting. Pipe lines on front of grille. Place yellow gumdrops on front of bus for headlights; place red gumdrops on front and back for lights. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as School Bus Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p37
Reviews for School Bus Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 2, 2009
"I'm JOY me and my 7! girls julia and Alli 5,Cara 4,Annie and Jinger 3kalie 1,and Hannie [Johanna].thanks so much!!!!!"