Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups canned vanilla frosting
- Orange paste food coloring
- 4 pieces black shoestring licorice
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into a greased and floured 2-1/2-qt. ovenproof bowl.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from bowl to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting and food coloring. Place cake on a serving plate. Spread with frosting. Gently press a meat mallet into frosting so texture resembles a basketball. For seams, gently press licorice into frosting.
Mar 23, 2012
I had trouble with the frosting; it kept sticking to the meat mallet and pulled up into peaks so I failed to get it to resemble a basketball texture. Used black food coloring instead of licorice.
Jul 8, 2011
My son Likes basketball as a sport and loved the cake!
Mar 2, 2010
I made this cake for my grandson a couple years ago. It was a hit. The only problem, I completely failed to find shoestring licorice. Had to modify that.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.