Root beer barrel candies and a spice cake-like batter give these cupcakes an old-fashioned flavor. Kids will especially love them! —Dot Kraemer, Cape May Court House, New Jersey
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup root beer
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 12 root beer barrel candies, crushed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with root beer, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, combine whipped topping and crushed candies; frost cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Root Beer Cupcakes in Country Extra January 2007, p51
Reviews for Root Beer Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review