- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, extract and food coloring if desired on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 32 cookies.
Reviews for Mint Meringues
Sort By :
These were a hit and so low cal! I did have to beat them forever with 2 different mixers but worth the work!
I must have done something wrong. The egg whites didn't fluff the way they look in the picture. Having never made meringue before i'm wondering if the sugar needs to be added at a critical point in this process? Also they turned brown on the 250 degrees! I turned it down to 200 and hope they will be ok!
Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans that you drop in after the "mini" chocolate chips.