These delightful muffins mimic the great coffee shop treats, but because they use reduced-fat lemon yogurt and egg whites instead of whole eggs, they're much, much lighter. Calvin Hwang - La Mesa, California
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with lemon juice and yogurt.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full with batter.
- For streusel, combine the flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p22
Reviews for Makeover Lemon Streusel Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review