"These soft, chewy cookies are favorites of my grandchildren. They love helping me decorate them!" Joan Truax, Pittsboro, Indiana
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Decorating icing and assorted candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, vanilla and lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread People in Taste of Home December/January 2009, p73
Reviews for Gingerbread People
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review