- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Place oats in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Combine the flours, cocoa, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oat mixture, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup pecans.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chips and pecans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Devil's Food Snack Cake
"I just made this cake today! I used candied cherries in place of nuts! I also used 1/8 cup of all-purpose flour mixed in with the chocolate chips and cherries for the cake batter. I preferred to use all-purpose flour as whole wheat flour has a coarser texture to a cake and used 1/2 tsp. salt. I also used 12x8" greased and floured baking pan! Baked 40 minutes!delowenstein"
"Simply delicious! Dark, rich, yummy wi just enough healthy ingredients that I don't feel too guilty for eating one...or three."
"So good, and pretty good for you too. Run the oats through a coffee grinder until very fine, and you won't even know the cake has oatmeal in it. You can use regular rolled oats with this trick too. I also add ground flaxseed, and prefer putting all the chips and pecans in the batter. I make cupcakes out of this recipe, which freeze well."
"This was very moist, very good!"