Crepes Florentine Recipe
Bring this spectacular appetizer to the table to cut into wedges, and you'll receive many compliments on the presentation! The rich Mornay-sauced spinach and creamy mushroom mixtures are beautifully layered between crepes.#151;Sue A. Jurack, Mequon, Wisconsin
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- For crepes, in a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in the cream and 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and shallot in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and egg until smooth. Beat in mushroom mixture. Add enough cheese sauce to achieve a spreadable consistency. In a large bowl, combine the spinach and 1/2 cup cheese sauce until blended. Add additional sauce if needed to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, on two greased 9-in. ovenproof pie or tart pans, layer a crepe, spinach mixture, another crepe, then mushroom mixture. Repeat five more times. Pour remaining sauce over the stacks. Sprinkle with remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. Dot with remaining butter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Bake at 350°; for 55-60 minutes or until bubbly and golden and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8-12 servings.
Originally published as Crepes Florentine in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p24
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crepes Florentine(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Crepes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes >
- Mother's Day Brunch Recipes >
- Mushroom Appetizers >