- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment or waxed paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix filling ingredients until blended. Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake layer horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Top with a third of the filling. Repeat twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Refrigerate while preparing frosting.
- For frosting, in a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water, egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Place pan over low heat; continue beating on low until a thermometer reads 160°, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add vanilla; beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Spread over top and sides of cake. If desired, sprinkle with additional coconut. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Dream Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p82
Reviews for Coconut Dream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review