- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Mash apples slightly if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Chunky Applesauce
Sort By :
"So good and easy. Easily the best homemade applesauce I've made."
"Love, love, love the addition of the vanilla. I would never have thought about putting vanilla in applesauce, but it just adds that something special."
"Best applesauce ever! I agree with the previous reviewer that the vanilla gives it an extra special flavor. My apples were sweet, so I added lemon juice and cut back on the sugar. Yum!"
"Delicious! Maybe a little strong vanilla taste, but definitely a keeper!"
"The vanilla adds a different flavor than normal. I also cut back to about 2/3 of the sugar listed. I will be making more. My apple tree is in full bloom so I need to use them up."