- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Mash apples slightly if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Chunky Applesauce
Sort By :
Best applesauce ever! I agree with the previous reviewer that the vanilla gives it an extra special flavor. My apples were sweet, so I added lemon juice and cut back on the sugar. Yum
Delicious! Maybe a little strong vanilla taste, but definitely a keeper!
The vanilla adds a different flavor than normal. I also cut back to about 2/3 of the sugar listed. I will be making more. My apple tree is in full bloom so I need to use them up.
This is my favorite go to recipe for homemade applesauce.
I haven't purchased applesauce from the store in years. I'm confused with all the sugar added? That was one of the reasons I started making my own. I peel, core, quarter however many apples I need to make up my sauce, add a touch of water, cook till tender, then add cinnamon to taste. I've used Braburn apples for a very long time. Try it! You don't need all that sugar!