There's just something extra special about homemade applesauce. This simple recipe is tart and not too sweet. It makes the perfect side dish, especially with pork chops or a pork roast. —Deborah Amrine, Grand Haven, Michigan
- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Mash apples slightly if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Chunky Applesauce in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p37
Reviews for Chunky Applesauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review