- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to the butter mixture and mix well. Shape into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chewy Almond Cookies
"The cookie is very good and I will make again. However, the math doesn't quite work out - two logs - each six inches and cut into 1/4-inch slices can't yield 4 1/2 dozen cookies. It does yield 4 dozen, if you include the 4 ends of the logs. (This changes the nutrition numbers slightly.) The cookies end up about 2 1/2 inches in diameter once baked; they are thin. You want to bake to lightly brown, but don't over bake or they will be extra crispy."
"I found this site due to this recipe. I was excited to try it. A very simple and fun recipe to make. The blend of almond, vanilla and cinnamon smelled delicious while baking. I did add a tiny smidgen more of each of these. They looked so pretty with their sliced almonds slightly toasted. As soon as they were out of the oven, my family was taste testing. They were surprised how good they were and had some more to see if their first impression was right. Half was gone before they cooled but then now slightly crisp they were found just as good. I really like how low calorie wise it is. I can justify taking another! Thank you for sharing a recipe that has now joined my favorites."