This sweet creamy frosting made with real butter is easy to blend together and holds its shape nicely when used to decorate a special layer cake. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 cups confectioners' sugar (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Blue, yellow and green gel, paste or liquid food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- Place 1/4 cup frosting each in three small bowls; tint one blue, one yellow and one green. Set aside 2-1/4 cups of remaining frosting for basket weave decoration and shell border. Spread remaining frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- To decorate, cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert medium basket weave tip. Fill the bag with reserved white frosting. Decorate sides of cake using basket weave pattern (see diagrams at right). Change to medium star tip to pipe shell border along bottom and top edges of cake.
- For writing, use medium round tip and blue frosting to pipe desired greeting off-center on top of cake. Use medium round tip and green frosting to pipe vines around writing. Switch to medium leaf tip to pipe green leaves along vines. Use small flower tip to pipe yellow and blue flowers along vines. Leftover frosting can be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Cake with Buttercream Decorating Frosting in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p57
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cake with Buttercream Decorating Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review