Apple Dumplings with Sauce Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 9 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into eight portions. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll each portion of dough between two lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each square. Place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar in the center of each apple.
- Gently bring up corners of pastry to each center; pinch edges to seal. If desired, cut out apple leaves and stems from dough scraps; attach to dumplings with water. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring just to a boil, stirring until blended. Pour over apples.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dumplings with Sauce
Sort By :
"I'd never made apple dumplings before and these were fantastic! They were a hit with everyone who tried them."
"These ARE AMAZING! Such a hit served alongisde vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of the sauce - everyone get saying "mmmm this is so good"!"
"A wonderful and fun dessert!"
"Dumplings just like mom used to make! Just melt in your mouth delicious!"
"Better than my mother-in-laws. Children want me to make these more often."