Apple Dumplings with Sauce Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 9 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into eight portions. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Roll each portion of dough between two lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each square. Place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar in the center of each apple.
- Gently bring up corners of pastry to each center; pinch edges to seal. If desired, cut out apple leaves and stems from dough scraps; attach to dumplings with water. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring just to a boil, stirring until blended. Pour over apples.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Dumplings with Sauce
Sort By :
Dumplings just like mom used to make! Just melt in your mouth delicious!
Better than my mother-in-laws. Children want me to make these more often.
My family loves this recipe. They eat or take home all of it. It's especially good in the Fall when apples are fresh and readily available.
Perfect apple dumplings. I served them warm with a side of vanilla ice cream, and the room fell silent as everyone indulged. Definitely a keeper.