Veggie Salmon Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup flaked smoked salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Stir in spinach, salmon and jalapeno; cook 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 202 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Nov 8, 2017
Great recipe with great flavors. I added some leftover vegetables that I had to it.
Feb 6, 2014
Nov 12, 2013
This was great! My husband loved it! The smoked salmon adds a nice flavor. I added some sliced fresh Brussels sprouts to the pot at the beginning - tasted good. I can't say that the pickled jalapeños were very noticeable. Will definitely make this again!
Oct 26, 2013
added 1 more cup of chicken broth. Also a potato.
Oct 24, 2013
This was very yummy! Only thing I didn't use was the jalapeno. Just added a bit of extra pepper and doubled the cilantro. Used a left-over grilled salmon filet rather than smoked salmon. Great way to make that left-over stretch a bit further!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.