Shrimp Enchiladas with Green Sauce
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 16 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) green enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil over medium-high heat. In batches, fry tortillas 10 seconds on each side or until pliable (do not allow to crisp). Drain on paper towels. Cover with foil to keep warm and softened.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, onions, garlic and cumin; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onions are tender. Add shrimp; cook 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach; heat through.
- Place 1/4 cup shrimp mixture off center on each tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, seam side down. Top with sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts2 enchiladas (calculated without salsa): 479 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
May 2, 2014
Really enjoyed this. Had this at a restaurant years ago and was happy to find a recipe. @csls, this recipe was in the December 2013 issue of Taste of Home.
Apr 24, 2014
which month was this one published?
Apr 17, 2014
We've found a new go-to recipe in our house! I made several alterations but it was still wonderfully tasty. I did not fry the tortillas (used flour tortillas instead of corn), omitted the onion and cut the garlic in half but there is still plenty of flavor thanks to the cumin. I also found that only 1 can of enchilada sauce is more than adequate.
Jan 12, 2014
Since my husband does not like shrimp, I had to substitute shrimp with chicken, but it was very good. I baked it without the enchilada sauce, I poured the sauce after baking. We loved it!
Dec 30, 2013
My husband and I liked this; the kids were so-so. I used only 1 can of salsa verde and that was plenty, we thought. The shrimp and veggies make a nice filling for the tortillas.
Dec 15, 2013
Followed directions, but it did not flip anybody's switch in my family.
Dec 3, 2013
Tried this recipe for the first time and really liked it. It's fairly easy but it is a little heavy on the spinach, if it isn't your favorite vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.