Cheese Enchiladas with Green Sauce
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute spinach until wilted. Drain and remove. In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chilies, green onions, cilantro, garlic, spices and spinach. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine cheeses; set aside 1 cup for topping. Add onion and cilantro to remaining cheese mixture; toss to combine. Place about 1/4 cup cheese-onion mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with reserved cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 533 calories, 32g fat (21g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Mar 2, 2015
I must say I was a it disappointed. First of all, they did not make an attractive presentation at all. Second, and most important, the enchiladas and sauce are bland. Adding salt helped tremendously but something else is still needed that I haven't put my finger on yet. Once I figure that out, this will be a good dish. This is why I rated as a 4 rather than a 3.
May 7, 2012
I was a little disappointed with this recipe. It was a lot of work and I found the enchiladas to be sort of blah tasting. If I make this recipe again, I will try to spice it up a little.
Apr 16, 2012
I followed this recipe exactly and it turned out amazing. This is way better than any restaurant enchilada I have had! ! ! ! I will definitely make it again and again.
Feb 17, 2012
I sautéed chicken tenders w/ a chopped sweet onion, which I slow-cooked for 5 hours before combining w/ the cheese mixture & used to stuff large flour tortillas.
Feb 17, 2012
One of the best recipes from this issue -- hubby LOVED it!
Jan 26, 2012
Really good! Used flour tortilla's instead of corn and added rotisserie chicken. Would definitely make again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.