- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg white or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Whisk together next six ingredients. In another bowl, combine molasses, butter, egg white and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and raisins (batter will be wet).
- Divide batter in half; spread each half (wetting hands, if necessary) into a 12x2-in. rectangle 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly browned and set, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer rectangles to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-in. bars. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1 dozen.
"I baked this for a Xmas party. I added colorful sugar free candies. Saran wrap and a big red bow turned a batch into a present."