“A sunset in a glass” is how your guests might describe this two-tone cocktail. With or without the spiced rum, it makes a refreshing thirst-quencher for parties any time of year.—Marybeth Mank, Mesquite, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 medium oranges
- 1-1/2 cups turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 8 slices fresh gingerroot
- Crushed ice
- 5 ounces spiced rum, optional
- 1 bottle (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove colored layer of peel from oranges in strips, leaving the white pith. Cut oranges crosswise in half; squeeze juice from oranges.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water and orange juice; bring to a boil. Stir in mint, ginger and orange peel; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cool syrup mixture completely.
- Strain syrup, discarding solids. To serve, fill 10 highball glasses halfway with ice. Add 2 ounces syrup and, if desired, 1/2 ounce rum to each glass; top with soda.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 134 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Orange Ginger Mint Sodas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014