“A sunset in a glass” is how your guests might describe this two-tone cocktail. With or without the spiced rum, it makes a refreshing thirst-quencher for parties any time of year.—Marybeth Mank, Mesquite, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 medium oranges
- 1-1/2 cups turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 8 slices fresh gingerroot
- Crushed ice
- 5 ounces spiced rum, optional
- 1 bottle (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove colored layer of peel from oranges in strips, leaving the white pith. Cut oranges crosswise in half; squeeze juice from oranges.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water and orange juice; bring to a boil. Stir in mint, ginger and orange peel; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cool syrup mixture completely.
- Strain syrup, discarding solids. To serve, fill 10 highball glasses halfway with ice. Add 2 ounces syrup and, if desired, 1/2 ounce rum to each glass; top with soda.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 134 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Orange Ginger Mint Sodas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.