Crispy Sriracha Spring Rolls
While in the Bahamas, friends suggested a restaurant that served amazing chicken spring rolls. When I got home, I created my own version. Such a great appetizer to have waiting in the freezer! —Carla Mendres, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (about 7 ounces)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce
- 1 package (24 to 28 each) spring roll wrappers, thawed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Sweet chili sauce, optional
- Toss coleslaw mix, onions, soy sauce and sesame oil; let stand while cooking chicken. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Add chicken; cook, covered, until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 15-20 minutes. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Finely chop chicken; toss with seasoned salt.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and chili sauce; stir in chicken and coleslaw mixture. With one corner of a spring roll wrapper facing you, place about 2 tablespoons filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling; roll up tightly, pressing tip to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry spring rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with sweet chili sauce. Freeze option: Freeze uncooked spring rolls in freezer containers, spacing them so they don't touch, and separating layers with waxed paper. To use, fry frozen spring rolls as directed, increasing time as necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 spring roll: 186 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Chicken & Sriracha Spring Rolls in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.