Jumbo Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Add the eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add cheese and jalapeno. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 3-in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Combine egg and water; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 368 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 27, 2017
I would not describe these as "rolls." They are more like jumbo hamburger buns. In fact, that is exactly what we used the leftovers for. Jalapeno flavor was a bit light. I might add more next time. I will definitely make them smaller, about 24-36 pieces rather than just 12.
Feb 4, 2015
Very nice taste and texture! I was hoping by cubing cheese instead of grating I would have little pockets of cheese but they were all crumbled in the kneading process. Also used pickled jalapeno slices hoping to see actual pieces of peppers, but they also disintegrated during kneading. Next time will add my cheese and peppers towards the end of the knead process and see if I can keep them more whole.
Sep 9, 2011
These are great! I was looking for a recipe similar to rolls I had at Double Musky in Girdwood Alaska and this recipe was perfect. They also freeze very well.