Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Mix
Total TimePrep Time: 30 min.
Makes20 servings (6-2/3 cups hot cocoa mix)
- 1-1/3 cups instant chocolate drink mix
- 1-1/3 cups chocolate malted milk powder
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons powdered nondairy creamer
- 3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed candy canes (about 40 mini candy canes)
- EACH SERVING:
- 3/4 cup hot water
- In a large bowl, mix chocolate drink mix, malted milk powder and baking cocoa. In another bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and creamer.
- In each of four 1-pint canning jars, layer 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder, 3/4 cup chocolate mixture, 3 tablespoons chocolate chips, 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar mixture, 3 tablespoons chocolate chips and 1/4 cup candy canes, pouring ingredients through a large funnel or a waxed-paper cone. Press candy canes down to fit if needed.
- Cover and store in a cool, dry place up to 2 months (mixture will settle). To use, transfer contents of jar to a covered container or large resealable plastic bag; mix well.
- To prepare hot cocoa: Place 1/3 cup combined mix in a mug; stir in 3/4 cup hot water until blended.
Nutrition Facts1 serving prepared hot cocoa: 315 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 25, 2015
I have a question. I have been trying to make this and layer it in the one-pint jars as it directs but no matter how tight I pat each layer I cannot get it to fit. In fact, I don't get past the second layer (the chocolate mixture) before it overflows. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Please answer asap as i was trying to give these out for thanksgiving.
Jan 11, 2015
Gave this out to friends during the holidays and they loved it. I added another layer of crushed candy canes in the middle for extra color.
Dec 1, 2014
This hot cocoa mix was a hit with my family! It has a rich, gourmet quality to it. We added whipped cream and additional crushed candy canes on top. I'll be making these for my kids' teachers for Christmas.