Old-fashioned flavor comes through with the molasses, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in these light, fluffy cupcakes. The mocha frosting is a fresh touch that makes them extra special. —Sarah Vaughan, Waterville, Maine
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate-covered coffee beans and assorted candies, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Stir in the coffee, butter and vanilla until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with coffee beans and candies if desired. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Originally published as Spice Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting in Fun Food 2009
Reviews for Spice Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review