- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate-covered coffee beans and assorted candies, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Stir in the coffee, butter and vanilla until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with coffee beans and candies if desired. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Reviews for Spice Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting
"Great flavor combination. My only alteration was that I didn't have ground cloves in the house so I doubled the cinnamon."
"Very good recipe. Instead of cupcakes, I made this in an 8-inch square pan. It took about 35 minutes to bake. It made an excellent spice cake. I did not frost the cake."
"Cinnamon Frosting on spice cupcakes is um um good. I use it a lot."
"A little dry, I reduced baking time to 15 or so minutes. Otherwise everyone loved them."
"Just made a batch...They are great. We did not ice them. They didn't need it. I got a dozen and a half from this recipe. Will make again."