Irish Soda Bread Muffins Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and caraway seeds. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, butter and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in currants.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Irish Soda Bread Muffins(15)
Sort By :
Absolutely excellent! I've made these muffins for several years now and they are moist and flavorful. The sprinkling of sugar on top is perfect. I'll be making them again for this St. Patrick's Day , but they're good any day of the year! A real favorite!
Awesome, tasty muffin recipe. I made this subbing out the canola oil with applesauce and they were fabulous! The caraway seeds were amazingly appealing. Not much similarity to actual Irish Soda Bread, but an awesome muffin non-the-less. This will now be my go-to muffin recipe; it'd be great with blueberries or whatever sounds good to you. The muffins were moist and tender and truly wonderful.
To die for! Not too sweet. A softer moister version of soda bread. Used a mix of dried cranberrirs,tart cherries and blueberries soaked in rum for a little special touch for St. Pa tricks D ay. Been to Ireland many times and collected several recipes for soda bread but these little morsels are awesome!
This recipe is awesome! It will now be part of my St. Patricks Day menu. In my humble opinion, they could be the perfect anytime muffin also. I added 1/4 cup more sugar as another reviewer suggested. I left the caraway seeds out. Served warm with butter! SO glad I found this recipe! Perfection!
Great taste, very tender, I wouldn't change a thing they were really good.