Green Tomato Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 cups thinly sliced green tomatoes (about 4 to 5 medium)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add tomatoes and vinegar; toss to coat.
- Line a pie plate with bottom crust. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tomatoes are tender. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Green Tomato Pie(6)
Sort By :
I omitted the vinegar and butter. I added raisins and more cinnamon. Love it!
A very unique flavor. Taste reminds me of tart apples. Thanks! It is a hit!
Made this pie and took to a potluck. Everyone thought it was an apple pie! I may add one more cup of tomatoes the next time I make it.
Since misplacing my recipe that my mother past on to me, I am delighted to have found one that is so similar, the only difference, is that I add raisins to my recipe and my familyjust loves it!
i HAVE BEEN MAKING GREEN TOMATO PIE FOR YEARS, THIS IS A GOOD RECIPE, HOWEVER I ALWAYS USE 3 HEAPING TABLESPOONS OF TAPIOCA FOR THE FLOUR IN THE FILLING. AS TO THE LADY WITH THE SLIMY PIE. THE TOMATOES WERE PROBABLY VERY JUICY AND MAYBE HER SLICES WERE TO THIN.