- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks. Return to saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filling into pie crust. For meringue, immediately beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to pie crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Chocolate Meringue Pie
Sort By :
"This is a nice basic recipe for chocolate pie. It has a good, old fashioned taste and appearance and turns out just the way my grandmother made it!"
"I made two chocolate pies today with no problems , but I noticed that after they had sat for a while there was a lot of sweat forming , I didn't know what to do about this . I wonder if refrigeration would help ?"
"very easy to make. ....the pie I made using this recipe was AWESOME:))"
"EASY and delicious !"
"Like other users said, this pie will begin to sweat a little and leave some liquid on top of the chocolate pudding layer...however it was still delicious! I added a small amount of cold, pre-made espresso to the pudding during the first boiling stage and it turned out great! Enhanced the flavor of the chocolate. The meringue compliments it by adding a marshmallow-y flavor. Made it on my boyfriend's birthday and he also found it to be tasty."