Grandma's Chocolate Meringue Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into the egg yolks. Return to saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Pour hot filling into pie crust. For meringue, immediately beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to pie crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Chocolate Meringue Pie
Sort By :
"very easy to make. ....the pie I made using this recipe was AWESOME:))"
"EASY and delicious !"
"Like other users said, this pie will begin to sweat a little and leave some liquid on top of the chocolate pudding layer...however it was still delicious! I added a small amount of cold, pre-made espresso to the pudding during the first boiling stage and it turned out great! Enhanced the flavor of the chocolate. The meringue compliments it by adding a marshmallow-y flavor. Made it on my boyfriend's birthday and he also found it to be tasty."
"Today I had to make a dessert for dinner and my pantry was running extremely low on ingredients. I searched Taste of Home on line for a dessert I could make. I came up with this wonderful pie. My husband loved it. He said it taste like the pie his mom made when he was a boy. I will add this to my favorite recipes."
"Easy & very delicious. Since my husband was asking when he could have a slice, I'm glad that the pie set pretty quickly. Yum!"