Favorite Fish Chowder Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 pounds cod fillets, cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter. Add water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish and lemon juice; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 quarts.
Reviews for Favorite Fish Chowder
Sort By :
Great chowder. I added 1 can clams and Old Bay seasoning. I also roughly grated 1/2 a carrot and added for some color.
I made half the recipe for my husband and me, and we ate every last drop for supper--oink. I substituted half of the water with clam juice, and I used a combination of milk and half & half because that was what I had. Very good!
finally a recipe for fish chowder the way i grew up on,no thickening it like wallpaper paste,just we only used canned milk because it gave it a better taste.only thing differant is we had common crackers to float on top of our chowder[too expensive now adays]