- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 38-43 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Add melted chocolate; beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in cocoa mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1-1/2 cups frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Come-Home-to-Mama Chocolate Cake
"How beautiful this cake appears! In spite of the high calories, I decided to make it for my daughter-in-law's birthday celebration. What a disappointment! The batter was thick and did not spread when baking. The icing ingredients couldn't possibly be correct! So much butter and so little confectioner's sugar! It did not fluff up and it didn't become smooth after I added the two kinds of melted and "boiled" chocolate. Besides all that, it's not an inexpensive cake to make. I'm hesitant about serving it!"
"This cake always works and keeps very moist."
"I made this cake for my son-in-laws birthday. It was a great hit. He loves chocolate cake and I'm always making different one and he said " make this again"."
"this is an amazing cake!!!!! my husband made the cake and for the frosting he used Ghirardelli cacao instead of semisweet chocolate...omgosh!!!"
"I just made this and found it to take way more than 30 minutes. The batter was so thick, it crept up the beaters almost into the motor. I added 1/2 c water, and still had to finish beating with a spoon. The icing turned to syrup when I added the melted chocolate, and had to add more confectioners sugar to make it thick enough to spread. The taste of the icing was rated 'not good' by the 4 of us eating the cake. The cost and mess did not equal an exceptional cake to us."
"I substituted strong coffee for water in the cake. I used Hershey's instant pudding (1 small box and 1 Tbsp. of another box) in the cake batter. Make sure eggs are room temperature.In the frosting, I substituted one 4 oz. Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bar and one 4 oz. Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar for the 1 lb. chopped chocolate and only used 1 cup butter. I used 2 cups of confectioner's sugar. I left everything else as per recipe. It tasted moist and rich. It tasted like my "go to recipe" that takes twice as long to prepare. It is a thick batter and if you have thinner baking pans (or too much batter) it will be done on outer edges and underdone in the middle. This will cause the cake to fall when it cools. Insulators wrapped around pans (or triple thick foil strips) will help them cook evenly. I would rather have my cake a little underdone because it will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven. Hope this helps!"
"I bought the comfort food magazine off the rack as soon as I saw the cover because of this cake!! My mom is a serious chocaholic and her birthday was coming up, and with the picture and name of the cake, I thought it perfect for her birthday cake!! This cake is rich and has an amazing flavor. Now when I am asked to make a birthday cake for a chocolate lover, this is the cake I always go to!!!"
"WOW! For all you chocolate lovers out there, if this doesn't tantalize your taste buds, NOTHING WILL!!!! I'm a major chocoholic. Great recipe:)"
"This is a really rich and delicious cake. I used skim milk instead of buttermilk and marshmallow sauce instead of fudge sauce because that's all I had. However, like some others I think the 1/2 cup powdered sugar is not enough. I kept adding until it was the right consistency, at least 2 cups, maybe a little more. But it tasted great, my mouth actually tingled a little because it was so rich."
"The cake was delicious, but I think there is a mistake in the frosting. It says 1/2 cup confectioner sugar for 1 1/2 cup butter and all that chocolate. I used 1 # box of confectioners sugar and it was perfect. Had about a cup of icing left over."