- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup apple cider
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Combine the eggs, cider and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Cider Doughnuts
"These came out so good. Don't over mix the dough or they will be tough. I mixed them by hand, just until they were moist. Really great recipe."
"These were good, but I think they could have used more flavor. I dipped some in the maple glaze and some in cinnamon sugar."
"These doughnuts are nice and moist and have a great spice to them. You won't taste the apple cider but the spices due remind you for cider. These are easy to make and always a hit when I serve them. I love that it includes whole wheat flour. Like others have mentioned, they are great with cinnamon sugar."
"These delicious donuts are easy to make! I roll them in cinnamon-sugar instead of using confectioners' sugar, which my husband really likes."
"These were great...super easy , and I used my fry daddy! I rolled them in cinnamon & sugar. Plus, I didn't have any cardamom, so I substituted cloves."
"These doughnuts were delicious, but tasted nothing like apple cider. I think I will save my cider for other things and go back to my old doughnut recipe."
"Excellent doughnuts, my grandchildren can hardly wait for me to get them done!!"