- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links, cooked and crumbled
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 5 to 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the pizza sauce, sausage and pepperoni; set aside. In another bowl, combine the biscuit mix, milk, eggs, butter and garlic salt. Spread half of the batter on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Spoon meat mixture over batter; cover with remaining batter.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Invert onto a baking sheet. Arrange cheese over cake. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Using two large metal spatulas, transfer cake to a serving platter; serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for April Fools' Cake
Sort By :
"I did not use the sausage and used turkey pepperoni instead. It was really good!"
"Fooled everyone, & tastes great! I made this ahead of time along with the layer meatload cake & heated them up at the time as we were having 17 visitors for lunch. Melted the cheese last minute as directed, works amazingly! Looks perfect!!!!!"
"I've hade this twice now, the first time I cooked it for 35 mins & it was nearly burned, very dark & hard as a rock! The 2nd time I cooked it for 25 mins, still over cooked. Dunno if it is worth the bother to make again, a good idea tho. Works perfectly to trick people with!"
"Great idea - can't wait for next April Fools Day!"
"Entirely too much filling for the amount of batter that this recipe makes. I would make it again, but would cut the amount of filling so that it doesn't leak out during baking."