Home-Style Glazed Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cheese, saltines, carrots, onion, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Spoon over meat loaf.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts4 slice: 266 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 30, 2019
Can't say enough about this meatloaf! Great flavor, moist and delicious! This will definitely be my go-to meatloaf from now on. I used Ritz crackers instead of Saltines and omitted the garlic powder - just a personal preference. I did add a bit of ketchup to the meatloaf mixture, in addition to the ketchup in the glaze. I baked the meatloaf with the glaze on it for about an hour and 15 minutes. Came out perfectly and we loved how the glaze carmelized on top. This one's definitely a winner!
Feb 23, 2017
Great Meat Loaf. Made exactly by the recipe instructions. Loved the sauce on top.
Apr 22, 2015
Excellent meatloaf. Moist, sweet and tangy.
Jun 27, 2014
Finally - a meatloaf my husband and children will eat! It's so delicious and moist. I halved the recipe and it still makes plenty. Thanks so much!
Nov 11, 2013
This is a delicious meatloaf. I made 1/2 the recipe for a smaller loaf and it was perfect. I had no problems with it falling apart like others mentioned.
Oct 20, 2013
Fast and easy to make. Great finished result, and the glaze on top adds the perfect finishing touch.
Oct 14, 2013
My teenage kids ask for it by name.... Need I say more?
Sep 19, 2013
I've been trying to find a meatloaf recipe for thirty years the hubby will like..."too stiff...too spicy...falls apart too much..too bland...." This one was a winner! I halved the recipe, but did the full sauce amount. Also, I substituted the saltines for Ritz crackers, as that is all I had on hand. I grated the carrots, but not fine, and I think it gave more texture. As someone else said, it goes great with green beans. I didn't experience falling apart. I will definitely be making this one again!
Sep 17, 2012
The best meatloaf ever!! My whole family loves it!!
Jul 26, 2012
This is an excellant tasting meatloaf. This is my daughter's favorite recipe to use when she makes meatloaf. My daughter always doubles the glaze ingredients, where as I just prepare a batch and a half of the glaze. I only add 28 saltine crackers, and prefer to just add a 1/2 cup of shredded carrots to the meatloaf mix. This recipe definitely deserves more than 5 stars, as that's how good it is!!