Gender Reveal Cake
Is it a boy or a girl? Create the perfect reveal by displaying this scrumptious cake tinted with pink or blue frosting on the inside. —Heather Chambers, Largo, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Blue and pink paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease and flour paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Place a large bowl and beaters in freezer until cold, about 15 minutes. In chilled bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in cream until firm peaks form. Tint 1-1/4 cups blue, 1/4 cup pink and leave remaining frosting white.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Pipe a circle of white frosting around top edge of layer. Spread 1 cup blue frosting inside white frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with white frosting. Using a #8 tip and white frosting, pipe pearls around top and bottom edge of cake. Using a #12 tip, pipe blue and pink dots over cake. With a #4 tip and pink frosting, add "It's a ..." to top of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Originally published as Red White and Blue Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.