Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottom and sides of six 6-oz. custard cups or the cups of popover pan. If using custard cups, place on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs; blend in milk and butter. Beat in flour and salt until smooth (do not overbeat).
- Fill cups half full. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until very firm. Remove from the oven and prick each popover to allow steam to escape. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 161 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 25, 2016
Dec 28, 2014
Not bad for a quick version, tasted like they should, but were denser than other recipes I have tried. Didn't rise as much as I would have liked, but perfectly okay for dunking in soup. Needs another/more eggs to rise properly & ingredients should be at room temperature before mixing. Made six exactly & I didn't have to wait.
Jul 21, 2010
I have been looking for a good, yet easy, popover recipe! Found it!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.