Whether you like your holiday desserts fa-la-la festive or ooh-la-la fancy, this one's for you! The creamy frozen concoction is so stunning, it's reserved strictly for Christmas and birthdays at our house. Sometimes we substitute raspberry sorbet and dark chocolate ice cream.
Recommended: Our Most Over-the-Top Recipes Ever
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 pints chocolate ice cream, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 Toblerone candy bar with almonds (3.52 ounces) , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1-2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Line a 4-qt. bowl with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Quickly spread strawberry ice cream over the bottom and up the sides to within 1/2 in. of the top of bowl. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Repeat with chocolate ice cream. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup whipping cream, sugar and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Fold in the hazelnuts, chopped candy bar and currants. Beat remaining whipping cream until stiff peaks form; fold into custard. Spoon into ice cream shell, spreading to completely cover the top. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool. Remove bombe from the freezer and invert onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and plastic wrap. Working quickly, spread chocolate, a little at a time, over entire bombe. Freeze until chocolate is firm. Cut into wedges. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Triple-Layer Ice Cream Bombe in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p35
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Triple-Layer Ice Cream Bombe
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review