- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Top servings with cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
Sort By :
Tasty soup I made in a pinch when I realized I was out of an ingredient for another soup. The kids and hubby loved this one! Followed recipe as written with only the addition of some green Chiles since I did not have Mexican diced tomatoes.
Delicious! Very flavorful! I used diced tomatoes with green chilis. I also added black beans and corn. The sweet corn was a nice contrast to the spicy heat! Very quick and easy.
Added 1 can of black beans, a chopped yellow pepper and 1 cup of frozen corn. Topped with shredded cheese, avocado and a little sour cream. Very good!
Squeeze a lime on top and taste the flavor come alive! I added Corn and Black beans as well.. Yummy Yummy! Ill make it over and over!
this is the best recipe for chicken soup i have made this ten times