Classic Butter Pie Pastry Recipe
This all-butter pastry makes a flavorful, flaky pie crust that’s easy to handle and bakes up golden brown and beautiful. It’s just like mom’s—only better!Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
- For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
Originally published as Classic Butter Pie Pastry in Country Woman October/November 2012, p37
Reviews for Classic Butter Pie Pastry(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Desserts >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Pie Crust Recipes >