- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water
- Combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For a single-crust pie: Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
- For a double-crust pie: Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
Reviews for Classic Butter Pie Pastry
"This will now be my go to pie crust! It is delicious and so easy to make."
"Don't know what I did wrong, but the crust came out hard enough to put a dent in a wall! The one star is for my mistake and not your recipe."
"I have been making my pie crust with real butter for years. Reviewers are right -- you need to double the complete recipe for a two-crust pie. Butter will make a much tastier crust."
"I used this to make a gluten free crust. I used cup for cup gluten free flour and it was really good. Cooked up nice and tasted great too. I give credit to the butter. I only made one crust but did notice the mistake for the double crust. I would just double the recipe for the single crust not a big deal."
"I made this following the directions for the double crust.......... it's not nearly enough for a double crust.If you follow the directions you'll notice that all the ingredients for the double crust is doubled EXCEPT for the flour......... that extra 1/2 c does make the difference so you don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H it out."