- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake according to recipe directions.
- For double-crust pie: Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
Reviews for Classic Butter Pie Pastry
Sort By :
"I made this following the directions for the double crust.......... it's not nearly enough for a double crust.If you follow the directions you'll notice that all the ingredients for the double crust is doubled EXCEPT for the flour......... that extra 1/2 c does make the difference so you don't have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H it out."