- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioner's sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Beat in milk until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Pipe or spoon melted chocolate onto waxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Arrange strawberries on top of cake. Top with chocolate garnishes. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate-Strawberry Celebration Cake
"Of all the desserts I've made - this one is the one that has been the biggest hit! Amazing frosting on this cake, and don't skip that ganache!"
"I made this cake for my son-in-law's surprise birthday party. It was a hit! When we brought it out, got lots of ooohs and aaahs. It is a beautiful, impressive, delicious cake and is easier than you think. I put it in the refrigerator the day before and added the ganache and strawberries the day it was served."
"The actual cake was delicious & moist. The icing was just too buttery tasting for me with the 4 sticks, however the spreading consistency was perfect. I will use my own chocolate buttercream frosting next time. I placed chocolate covered strawberries around the top and on the sides. It was a big hit with the family!"
"Delicious. I might add sliced strawberries in between the layers next time though."
"this is really good. I made it in 13x9 pan because I had to travel with it and didn't want to worry about it falling over. the strawberries at the store weren't looking that good right now so I used canned cherry pie filling, which was great. I just drizzled the ganache over the top of the cherries . I'll make it again with strawberries when they're looking better. the frosting was great. for those of you who complained about the butter, you should try it-it's very good. The one I made today was for a party at work and I'm making another one tomorrow to take for Christmas eve dinner."
"I made this for my daughter's birthday. It was amazing. I have been baking for 50 years and never expected such deliciousness from a recipe based on a boxed cake. The frosting was decadent. Instead of making the chocolate lace for the top I used chocolate covered strawberries. I am going to try alter this recipe to make a white chocolate cake. For anyone thinking of trying this recipe...DO IT YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!"
"If I could give this 10 stars I would! My cakes turn out just like the picture and are absolutely wonderful!! Because it is loaded with calories, I save this for very special occasions!"
"Delicious! I used white chocolate flakes as a garnish instead of melting chocolate and making designs. And I used store bought frosting. The cake I followed the recipe exact and it was sooo good!"
"I know it's a strange question, but what do you consider a regular size cake mix? Because I'm from the Netherlands, and I don't know if our cake mix is the same size :) But it looks amazing and I can't wait to bake this cake!"