- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffh. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Place the dough in a cookie press fitted with a heart plate; form cookies on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Blend in enough milk until desired spreading consistency is reached. Add food coloring to a portion or all of the frosting if desired. Frost cookies. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Butter Cookies
Sort By :
"Stayed soft, great flavor. I also used 3C powdered sugar and 3T milk for icing."
"this is just i was looking for thank you."
"I literally just made this recipe and i have a few things to say. It was a pain in the butt. I used gluten free flour so it was a bit grainy but i adde an egg an its all good now. I would suggest 6minutes in the oven because inset my timer for 7 and a minute before it went off smoke was coming out of my oven and i was a little freaked out but they were just fine. For the frosting i already knew that recipe and u shouldnt put in so much sugar reduce it by a cup. And 3 tbs is enough for the milk. Other wise its great i just need to put the frosting on now! I would do this recipe again!"
"i love these cookies! i gotta admit that i thought they would be nasty but they turned out sooo good and they were super easy to make! it goes especially well with the frosting!"
"Consistently requested and appropriate for every occasion. Sooo rich but uber delicious and quite simply, in my opinion, the best iced cookies ever."