Pumpkin Cheesecake with Sour Cream Topping
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- SOUR CREAM LAYER:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional ground cinnamon
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Caramel sundae syrup
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate curls
- Ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, milk, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla; spread over filling. Bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Chill overnight.
- Remove sides of pan. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before slicing. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 329 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 23, 2017
I’m not sure I’ve ever rated this recipe but it is by far the best pumpkin cheesecake you’ll ever make. Please don’t let the sour cream topping scare you away. It’s the cherry on top and no one will be reaching for the whipped cream. When people ask what the topping is before they try it I say it’s an enriched cream topping because so many wrinkle their nose if you say sour cream. Sometimes I will let them know after they’ve eaten it and some will never know as they swear they hate sour cream but lick their plates lean when eating this cheesecake. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s my most requested dessert for the holidays.
Nov 22, 2017
Love this cheesecake. I've been making it every Thanksgiving for the past 3 years and my family loves it. My only comment is that the prep takes longer than 15 min but it's worth it
Sep 12, 2017
Sounds sooo good! Looking forward to making it. I will replace the evaporated milk with heavy cream. Works fine and tastes great. I usually do not have evaporated milk on hand. Half 'n half will work, too and be fewer calories. I always substitute cream for evaporated milk (1:1).....just a preference. I will also use ginger snaps for the crust.
Sep 11, 2017
Sounds Wonderful. Can't wait to try it in Little Rock Arkansas.
Dec 1, 2016
So good, that two men who don't normally like cheesecake or pumpkin LOVED this.
Dec 1, 2016
Hi Sharon,That's not a typo. If you can't find the 5 oz can simply measure 5 oz from the 12 oz can.Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine
Nov 23, 2016
The recipe calls for a 5 oz can of Evaporated milk. Is that a typo and should it be the 12 oz can?
Nov 1, 2016
After I got started making this cheesecake, I realized I had no sour cream. I used 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt instead, and continued with the recipe. It turned out great! I'd also recommend wrapping the springform pan with foil to keep the butter from making a mess in the oven.
Nov 21, 2015
I love this cheesecake, But now i live in high attitude. What to do? I have to make one for thankgiving
Oct 23, 2015
A wonderfully flavorful cheesecake that is perfect for the fall season. Would make a nice alternative from the traditional pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving! I followed the recipe exactly except for used a gingersnap crust with walnuts - those flavors really compliment the pumpkin and cinnamon & I will use the same crust next time. I will bake it 10 - 15 minutes longer next time as it turned out to be not quite set in the middle.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.