Pumpkin Cheesecake with Sour Cream Topping
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- SOUR CREAM LAYER:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional ground cinnamon
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Caramel sundae syrup
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate curls
- Ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, milk, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into crust.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until center is almost set.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla; spread over filling. Bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Chill overnight.
- Remove sides of pan. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before slicing. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 329 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 1, 2019
I made this cheesecake exactly as written here and it was waaay to sweet. I ended up throwing it away. Next time I'll look for another recipe.
Nov 24, 2019
This cheesecake turned out perfect for me, it was actually pretty simple to make. The cheesecake itself was a little on the sweet side for me so if I make it again I will use about half the brown sugar. The topping wont be for everyone but I think it goes great with the pumpkin. I will be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!
Jan 12, 2019
I made this as directed except for subbing a shortbread crust because I didn't have graham crackers, but did have a tin of Walker's shortbread cookies. The end result was ok to me and my husband, but I took it to work and the crew at the office gobbled it up and raved! So I don't think the average person will object LOL For me, I found the cake to crack quite a bit (even the sour cream layer cracked after chilling; just around the edges). Also, butter leaked everywhere (thanks to the person who suggested wrapping the pan in foil). I felt like the flavor was more like a very creamy pumpkin pie than a cheesecake with pumpkin if that make sense--would have preferred a more dense cheesecake with pumpkin flavor. I also thought the sour cream topping failed to add anything and was overpowering. Having said all that, as I mentioned before, people raved over it so I am definitely in the minority opinion. It was easy, though.
Dec 27, 2018
I'm so glad I found this recipe! Turned out perfectly! I added a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the graham cracker crust. Other than that, I followed the recipe just as printed. Didn't have any issues with it cracking... baked for 55 minutes, then the 5 extra for the sour cream topping which was a delicious addition! This recipe is a definite keeper!!
Dec 11, 2018
i was very disappointed in this cheesecake. It didn’t seem to “set up” completely, even though I added 15 minutes to the baking time. And there wasn’t much flavor. All in all, it just wasn’t worth the effort.
Nov 23, 2017
I’m not sure I’ve ever rated this recipe but it is by far the best pumpkin cheesecake you’ll ever make. Please don’t let the sour cream topping scare you away. It’s the cherry on top and no one will be reaching for the whipped cream. When people ask what the topping is before they try it I say it’s an enriched cream topping because so many wrinkle their nose if you say sour cream. Sometimes I will let them know after they’ve eaten it and some will never know as they swear they hate sour cream but lick their plates lean when eating this cheesecake. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s my most requested dessert for the holidays.
Nov 22, 2017
Love this cheesecake. I've been making it every Thanksgiving for the past 3 years and my family loves it. My only comment is that the prep takes longer than 15 min but it's worth it
Sep 12, 2017
Sounds sooo good! Looking forward to making it. I will replace the evaporated milk with heavy cream. Works fine and tastes great. I usually do not have evaporated milk on hand. Half 'n half will work, too and be fewer calories. I always substitute cream for evaporated milk (1:1).....just a preference. I will also use ginger snaps for the crust.
Sep 11, 2017
Sounds Wonderful. Can't wait to try it in Little Rock Arkansas.
Dec 1, 2016
So good, that two men who don't normally like cheesecake or pumpkin LOVED this.