Creamy Chicken Vol-au-Vent
My friends and I have been getting together for "ladies lunches" for years. These vol-au-vents are the perfect no-fuss fancy food; they look complicated, but are actually simple and fun to make. Whenever I think of good friends and good company, I think of these savory pastries. —Shauna Havey, Roy, Utah
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (17.30 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley plus additional ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold one puff pastry sheet. Using a 3-1/4-in. round cutter, cut out six circles. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Unfold the remaining pastry sheet. Cut six more circles out with the 3-1/4-in. round cutter; with a 2-1/2-in. cutter, cut centers out of the circles. Place the rings on top of the circles that are on the baking sheet. Place the center circles also on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastries. Chill 15 minutes. Bake until dark golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Add leeks and pepper to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low; stir in bacon, chicken, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until blended; remove from heat.
- When cool enough to handle, hollow out pastries with a small knife. Fill with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Serve with small center pastries on the side.
NOTE: The two sheets of puff pastry dough in a standard box will give you enough for 6 vou la vents.
Nutrition Facts1 filled pastry: 669 calories, 45g fat (16g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Chicken Vou La Vent in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.