Brown Sugar Salmon with Strawberries
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Grill: 10 min.
Makes4 servings (2 cups relish)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 salmon fillets (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients; rub over flesh side of salmon. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- For relish, in another bowl, mix mint, oil, lemon juice, lemon peel and sugar. Add strawberries and cucumber; toss to coat.
- Lightly oil grill rack. Place salmon on grill rack, skin side down. Grill, covered, over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with relish.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 1/2 cup relish: 375 calories, 20g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Dec 10, 2016
Fresh tasting! Excellent for spring.
Aug 23, 2015
Fantastic recipe! I don't have a grill so I placed the salmon under the broiler until cooked. Was amazing!
Jul 9, 2013
This delicious dish was our first attempt at grilling fish - came out pretty good too! We appreciated the fact that the recipe mentioned to oil the grill first. Our salmon took about 18 minutes to cook. The edges were crusty and delicious. Loved the brown sugar topping. The relish was good also. I almost think I'd like the relish without the strawberries to get all the sweetness from the brown sugar - a nice contrast to the cucumbers. Will definitely make this again.
Jul 3, 2013
This was amazing - especially the salmon!
May 6, 2013
My husband, who is a picky eater, loved this recipe! It was very easy to make. I had to make one change, though. I'm allergic to citrus. So instead of lemon juice and peel, I used sour salt or citric acid for that lemony taste. I would definitely make this for dinner party!
Apr 16, 2013
My whole family LOVED this (including 11 and 9 year old kids)! I pretty much followed the recipes exactly (except that I didn't have mint). BBQ'd the salmon (one large 1.3 lb fillet from Costco) on the grill (benefit of living in Southern CA in April) and it was perfect. My husband said "Save this recipe to make again". Thank you!
Apr 15, 2013
I changed the recipe a little!I baked the salmon, instead of grilling it, because, fish sticks really bad to the grill. It does not matter which kind.The relish, I used corn instead of Cucumbers, since they bother my stomach.Also, I did not used mint, I used cilantro instead. I omitted the sugar on the relish and the salt on the salmon. I used Splenda brown sugar, and I used about 1/8 cup.
Mar 24, 2013
It was amazing! Definitely make again.