Bread Pudding with Sauce
This warm pudding is a traditional winter favorite, and for a good reason. The rich, cinnamony flavor is perfect for the holidays, and the decadent, buttery sauce is such an amazing complement. You can use actual rum instead of extract, just for grown-ups. —Peggy Goodrich, Enid, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- BROWN SUGAR BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 drop orange extract
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt. Gently fold in bread cubes and raisins if desired. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in brown sugar and apple juice. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Serve warm with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece with 2 tablespoons sauce: 413 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 349mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.