Berry Pinwheel Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a a greased 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Beat egg yolks and eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in water, oil and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 10-12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a tea towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in lemon curd. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel; trim ends. Place on a platter, seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 315 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 6, 2014
I love this cake. It is really light and not too sweet. Asian people will like this kind of cake. I made many chiffon cake with whipped cream before. This cake is a little bit dry compare to many chiffon I made but It is perfect with whipped cream. The cake is not to moist.
Jul 13, 2011
The cake was so dry I threw it out before making the filling. Maybe the flour mixture is not to be beaten in but folded into the egg mixture?
Dec 22, 2010
I get requests for this cake for almost every family dinner. I like to use the leftover whipped cream to frost the outside.
Oct 22, 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.