How to Throw a Perfectly Spooky ‘Hocus Pocus’ Party
Put a spell on your guests with an epic Hocus Pocus-themed party to celebrate the release of Hocus Pocus 2.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
It’s time to light the black flame candle, because the wait is almost over! The Sanderson sisters are about to come back to life in the long-awaited release of Hocus Pocus 2.
The original 1993 Halloween classic lives on in the hearts of many. So of course, with the highly anticipated sequel, we felt it was necessary to put together a comprehensive guide for throwing a Hocus Pocus party that will have all of your favorite witches and wizards singing “I put a spell on you!”
Where to Watch Hocus Pocus 2
Over 29 years after the release of Hocus Pocus, Disney+ will be streaming Hocus Pocus 2 starting September 30, 2022.
Much of the original cast is back for the second movie, including the three iconic Sanderson sisters: Bette Midler as Winifred Sanderson, Sarah Jessica Parker as Sarah Sanderson and Kathy Najimy as Mary Sanderson. Doug Jones will also be returning as Billy Butcherson, a former love of Winifred. The rest of the cast will be filled with new faces, including three younger versions of the Sanderson sisters.
Hocus Pocus 2 Watch Party Ideas
Hocus Pocus Party Decor
You may not live in Salem, Massachusetts where the Sanderson will soon make their reappearance, but we can get your home looking just as spooky for your Hocus Pocus 2 watch party. Here are the spooky supplies you’ll need!
- Halloween Witch Balloon Garland: Greet your guests with this Halloween balloon garland, which you can easily put together and hang yourself. If you want to get extra spooky, twist through a string of these Halloween skeleton string lights.
- Black Flame Candle: To conjure the Sanderson sisters, you light the black flame candle. Think of it as your way of kicking off the party, then surprise your guests by flicking on a few other black candles with a remote that you magically have hidden in your pocket.
- Hocus Pocus Tiered Server: Why serve spooky treats on a plate when you could have them flying on a broom? This Three Tiered Server is perfect for serving savory and sweet bite-sized treats, all hanging on a festive broomstick in the center.
- Hocus Pocus Cauldron and Ladle: If you’re mixing up a Life Potion to replenish your youth and vitality, this cauldron is perfect.
- Skeleton Coffin Ice Bucket: Who knows if the skeleton singer will make a return, but with this coffin ice bucket full of cold beverages, he will certainly make an appearance at your watch party.
- Disney Hocus Pocus Halloween Push Pin Kit: Why carve a pumpkin when you can turn it into a Sanderson sister? This pumpkin kit will help you transform a pumpkin into Winifred Sanderson.
- Binx Plush: Binx lives in our hearts—and now, on our couches. This Binx stuffed animal is ideal for snuggling up during your Hocus Pocus watch party.
- Oversized Printed Plush Throw: Curl up with this plush throw in a Hocus Pocus pattern, sporting black cats, cauldrons, brooms and more.
- Ceramic Spider Mixing Bowl Set: If you plan on baking a batch of cut-out sugar cookies to decorate, this creepy-crawly spider set is perfect for getting the party started.
Hocus Pocus Party Food
It’s not a proper movie night without food, but don’t get your knickers in a twist! We listed out all of the best Hocus Pocus foods for you to enjoy right after you gather for your calming circle.
- Crescent Roll Witch Hats: Get straight to the point with these cute crescent roll witch hats! We don’t suggest putting them anywhere near your hair, though.
- Hocus Pocus Charcuterie Board: Who knew Brie would make such perfectly shaped heads? This festive charcuterie board by Something Delightful will have you decorating the Sanderson sisters with all of your favorite cheese board treats.
- Witches’ Brooms: It’s not a true Hocus Pocus party without some witches’ brooms.
- Witches Brew Stew with Black Olive Spider Focaccia: Serve steaming bowls of Witches Brew Stew thanks to this spooky-looking recipe from The Magical Slow Cooker. Pair it with a creepy-crawly Black Olive Spider Focaccia by Harmony Lynn.
- Witches’ Brew: Or just call it the “The Life Potion” because these frighteningly tasty Witches’ Brew cocktails will certainly bring life to the party.
- Hocus Pocus Sherbet Potion: For the non-alcoholic sippers, our sweet Hocus-Pocus Sherbet Potion works for witches of all ages. Or, as the Sanderson sisters like to say, it reeks of children!
- Hocus Pocus Frappuccinos: Want to get caffeinated so you can stay up to watch the movie? Head to your local Starbucks and order a Hocus Pocus Frappuccino from the secret menu.
- Booook Brownies: No need to scream “booook!” out a window for the magical book to make an appearance. These Booook Brownies by Relatable Kate make a festive treat for Hocus Pocus shenanigans.
- Sanderson Sister Cupcakes: Pile up the frosting in the shape of the Sanderson sisters’ iconic hairdos. Try it yourself with tips from Popcorner Reviews.
Hocus Pocus Party Games
If you need a game to play before settling in to watch Hocus Pocus, these ideas will have you screaming “amok, amok, amok!”
- Disney Hocus Pocus Game: While you’re anxiously awaiting the release of Hocus Pocus 2, get your witches in the spirit with this Hocus Pocus board game.
- Hocus Pocus Bingo: If you’re giving the first movie a watch before the second, be sure to have Hocus Pocus Bingo on hand.
- Hocus Pocus Drinking Game: Or if you’re looking for something a little more, you know, adult, this drinking game by Best Day of the Week could be a fun way to get the party started.
- Pumpkin & Witch’s Broom Race: Before settling in for the movie, play a few rounds of this Pumpkin & Witch’s Broom Race by I Dig Pinterest with the rest of your party, perfect for adults and children!
- Witches Brew Escape Room: If you’re really looking to go all out for your Hocus Pocus 2 watch party, this Witches Brew Escape Room is a fun way to get the party started before settling in for a spooky movie night.
Here are a few tips to help you host a murder mystery party.