- 6 black licorice twists
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 drop green food coloring
- Cut licorice into shapes to resemble the eyes, nostrils and mouths for 12 alien heads; set aside. Place popcorn in a large greased bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the water, baking soda, vanilla and green food coloring; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup and butter; cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 235° (soft-ball stage), about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in reserved vanilla mixture (mixture will foam). Immediately pour over popcorn, stirring to coat evenly. Cool for about 5 minutes, stirring several times. When cool enough to handle, firmly shape with buttered hands into 4-in. long teardrop shapes; place on waxed paper.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup and food coloring until smooth. Place icing in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe icing onto popcorn heads to attach alien eyes, nostrils and mouth. Let stand until dry; wrap in plastic wrap. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Alien Popcorn Heads in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun Annual 2006, p92
Reviews for Alien Popcorn Heads
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review