Creepy Candied Corn
I couldn't stop eating this popcorn when I first tried it at a friend's party. My generous pal offered the recipe, and now I bring it to gatherings often. Color your corn an eerie green hue to add a spooky effect at Halloween. —Courtney D Wilson, Fresno, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 60 min.
- 3 packages (3.3 ounces each) butter-flavored microwave popcorn
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 drops green food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 250°. Pop popcorn according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to two very large bowls; discard any unpopped kernels.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and, if desired, food coloring. Pour over popcorn and toss to coat. Spread in a single layer on greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool. Break into clusters. Store in airtight containers.
Originally published as Vanilla Carmel Corn in Halloween Bookazine 2015