Sunrise Sausage Enchiladas
These delicious enchiladas are equally good made with cubed ham or sausage. Prepare ahead, refrigerate, and bake when ready for a convenient breakfast twist. —Deb LeBlanc, Phillipsburg, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 7 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (20 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) green enchilada sauce
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped sweet red pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon; discard drippings.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute potatoes until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in seasonings, chiles, sausage and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place 1/2 cup filling on each tortilla; roll up and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, seam side down. Top with sauce. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove enchiladas from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and heated through, 10-15 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 enchilada: 398 calories, 25g fat (9g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1116mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Sunrise Breakfast Enchiladas in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017